Strategy Intern | June 2017 - August 2017
• Defined business model for the launch of an internal experience design practice.
– Outlined the go-to-market strategy used by senior leadership to justify future investment in talent and equipment.
• Collaborated on new digital treatment solution for a multi-national pharmaceutical co. focused on ADHD.
• Evaluated market viability of a digital logistics platform for a global offshore oil and gas service provider.
Senior Designer | New York, NY | August 2014 - June 2016
• Leader of exterior design on interdisciplinary team that developed a new brand identity, positioning, segmentation and customer experience for Qdoba.
– Translated new business model into a differentiated dining environment for the national prototype.
– Trained client team and guided market launch affecting 640+ restaurants.
– Saw 11.7% growth in same store sales after implementing overall strategy.
• Dove deep into consumer insights for rebranding of furniture retailer, Lovesac.
– Performed ethnographic research with target customers; results directly applied to in-store solutions.
– Presented findings and experience prototypes to client C-Suite.
– Launched trial in 10+ locations.
• Directed design of 75+ Maserati dealerships across North America.
– Managed 5-person internal team.
– Acted as a trusted collaborator and primary advisor for Italian design teams, Global Corporate Identity Managers, local dealers, contractors and architects.
• Envisioned “convenience store of the future” for CST Brands.
– Performed in-store ethnographies with associates and customers in 2 markets, uncovered each party’s needs.
– Used insights and strategy to develop new product offerings for sustainable growth in anticipation of fossil fuel independence.
– Presented and defended strategy directly to CEO; championed final direction chosen for further prototyping.
• Designed initial location of Korean luxury brand, Zazen Bear.
– SoHo flagship integrated digital, physical, retail and lifestyle brand experiences to target “Zen” customer segment.
– Final design was awarded silver medal at New York Design Awards.
• Led cross-functional innovation team during 48-hour “hackathon” session for Wilton, a consumer products company.
– Utilized human centered design principles to rethink the baking experience.
– Prototyped 12+ new-to-market products in development for 2018 launch.
RUBY ON RAILS
HAND DRAFTING + MODELING
WORD + POWERPOINT + EXCEL
VICKERY TRAVELING FELLOWSHIP, 2010
JEFFERSON PUBLIC CITIZEN, 2009
OUTRIGGER CANOE NATIONAL CHAMPION, 2005
EAGLE SCOUT, 2005
2010 - present
2010 - present
Designer | New York, NY | December 2012 - August 2014
• Defined new brand strategy for Samsung retail environments.
– Updated floor plan and merchandising scheme to create a customer experience around engagement and discovery.
– Designed and implemented a scalable kit of signature brand elements in partnership with Cheil Worldwide.
• Leveraged data analytics to optimize merchandising and retail efficiency for Modell’s Sporting Goods stores.
– Identified and eliminated under performing products.
– Redefined the retail customer experience to align with a brand positioning around the emotional bond of sport.
• Catalyzed rapid growth of first-ever “3D” practice.
– Recruited new members; doubled team’s size in less than one year.
– Acted as mentor and coach to teammates.
– Introduced designers to business strategy, marketing, research and analytics.
Design Intern | New York, NY | June 2011 - January 2012
• Introduced architectural skill set; sparked further demand for the creation of a "3D" design team.
• Completed projects for 17+ companies including McDonald's, Pepsi, Citi, HP, Universal Studios.
Bates Masi Architects
Junior Architect | Sag Harbor, NY | January 2012 - December 2012
• Managed all stages of the architectural design process under the supervision of senior staff.
– Project lead for 2,200 sqft. luxury residence with construction costs totaling $1.1 million.
– Completed a comprehensive drawing set from schematic design, to construction documentation.
– Collaborated across disciplines; surveyors, structural engineers, contractors, government officials.
– Prepared weekly client check-ins and managed ongoing design revisions.
– Assisted in daily firm activities including marketing and research.
Kellogg School of Management
McCormick School of Engineering
MMM Joint Degree Candidate MBA and MS Design Innovation | June 2018
LEADERSHIP: MMM Student Executive Committee – Technology Co-Director
MEMBER: Kellogg Consulting Club, Innovation and Design Association, Retail & Luxury Goods Club
University of Virginia School of Architecture
B.S. Architecture | Aug. 2007 - May 2011
MAJOR: Architecture CUMULATIVE GPA: 3.58
MINOR: Architecture History DEANS LIST: Fall 2007
Relevant Design Experience
Future of Architecture Award
Social Impact Category Winner | May 2015
• Created an innovative solution to increase urban low-income housing by combining interests in architecture and nature.
– Effectively promoted the project by leveraging social media and earned the most votes out of any category.
– Spoke on a 3-person televised forum at the 2015 AIA National Convention concerning the future of architectural practice.
– Featured by national architectural media including Houzz, ArchDaily and Curbed, also published in the Virginia Magazine.
All for the East End
Design Volunteer | Spring 2011 - Summer 2012
• Created the visual identity for AFTEE, a non-profit located in the East End of Long Island.
– Designed the AFTEE logo and provided comprehensive guidelines for its application.
Research Participant | Jan. 2011 - May 2011
• Worked on a cross-functional team of three Undergraduate and two Graduate architects.
• Awarded a grant to design a seasonal fabric building for Acadia National Park.
• Short project timeline promoted a fast-paced and collaborative working environment.
Jefferson Public Citizen
Award Recipient | Aug. 2009 - May 2010
• Interdisciplinary team awarded a research grant to design an environmentally sustainable residence serving needs of a local mental-health nonprofit.
– Authored article in the scholarly journal, The Virginia Policy Review, documenting our process.
– Graduated with honorable distinction.
UVa Bay Game
Developer | Jan. 2010 - May 2010
• Designed custom graphics for an educational online game based on the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
• Streamlined player interface and gameplay to create a more unified user experience.
• Created the aesthetic foundation for future generations of the game.
Study Abroad | June 2010 - July 2010
• Studied advanced sketching and diagramming techniques.
• Explored and analyzed Italian architectural masterpieces including Palladio’s most influential works.
Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
Graduate Relations Chair | Feb. 2008 - May 2011
• Helped to organize over 15 philanthropic projects and events.
• Planned monthly dinners for local alumni and organized a graduate reunion weekend.
Boy Scouts of America
Guide | May 2008 - Aug 2008
• Guided crews of participants through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness on 10-day treks.